Mayor Russell Explains Why Cambridge Cannot Demand That Harvard Pay Taxes on Property

Present High Operating Costs Must Be Lowered Before Aid Can Be Sought By City

"If my hands were absolutely clean as far as Cambridge is concerned, I should go to Harvard and lay the situation before the authorities as to whether or not Harvard should pay taxes on its property, but under the present conditions I am in no position to do such a thing," declared Mayor Richard M. Russell '14, last night before a group of Harvard Square merchants at a meeting held at the Continental Hotel. "Operating costs in Cambridge are 50 per cent greater than in any other city in Massachusetts of the same size and type, and any demand that Harvard pay taxes to help lessen the financial burdens now being carried by the city government might well gain the answer that Cambridge first help itself by lowering its operating expenses.

"We must also remember that Harvard has at several times helped the city with contributions for city improvements and is greatly responsible for any growth and success that Cambridge has had during the past years," the mayor stressed with decided emphasis. "Furthermore, much of the land which some people desire to have taxed was not of any great value until the schools developed it. It is naturally quite difficult for us to make any demands from Harvard."

Before Mayor Russell spoke, a proposal to build a tea-house on the northern bank of the Charles near the Larz Anderson Bridge was discussed by Mrs. Chafee who is interested in the project. The proposal to build the tea-house will be sent to the Metropolitan District Commission and if approved it is hoped that a committee composed of the mayor and Harvard, Radcliffe, and M.I.T. representatives, will take charge of the building's operations.