STUDENTS IN POLITICS

The active participation in politics which the Political Action Committee of the Liberal Club is planning is another step forward toward honest and efficient government. There has long been need for more organization of non-partisan men to conduct a vigorous campaign against the vultures who live off the present political system.

The fact that the Committee, while planning to be continuously active, is opposed to the use of violence as a means of gaining its ends increases the possibility that it will be able to accomplish some of them. A few clear-sighted young men, basing their efforts and appeal on an intelligent and broad view of political practice can do more than a host of half-backed hysterical talkers haranguing stupid or unconvinced listeners. Students, unencumbered with entangling alliances or permanently formed views, should be well fitted to put their ounce of force behind movements making for better government. Their force may not be strong now, but it will grow stronger; and even if the concrete results of the Committee's efforts are always small, the members of the Committee will have had a chance to gain experience that will always be an asset in their probably more successful endeavors in later life. It is by its ideal and its efforts that the Committee is to be judged rather than by concrete accomplishments.

If the Committee carries out its proposed policy it will deserve a long and active life; and it will attract able men who are disgusted or amused by the mouthings of emotional enthusiasts with one-track minds.