P.B.H. CREW LEADS HOUSE REGATTA IN EXCITING CONTEST

Brooks Retains Lead Gained at Start Although Lowell Presses Steadily All the Way

Coach Tod Hoople's Brooks House eight stroked its way to victory in the finals of the House races for the Agassiz Cup, staged on a choppy, wind-swept River yesterday afternoon. Lowell, Kirkland, and Leverett, the other three competitors, finished in one, two, three order, respectively.

The time for the winners was seven minutes and seventeen seconds, which is rather slow for the Henley distance of one and five-sixteenths miles, but was not too bad in this case on account of the disadvantageous conditions. The Bellboys followed the Anglers at about one and one-half lengths with a time of 7.23; the Kirkland oarsmen trailed them by three-quarters of a length, turning in a time of 7.26; and the Rabbits drove the whole fleet across the finish in 7.28, a half-length behind the third boat.

After some little difficulty in lining up, all crews got off to an even start, with the Anglers on the Boston side in lane one, immediately pulling out into first place and never being headed from then on. The Bellboys, in lane two, pushed them all the way by using a stroke which was somewhat higher, while the Leverett and Kirkland shells tussled it out between themselves, see-sawing back and forth, but all the while dropping steadily behind the leaders. At the three- quarter mile mark, the Lowell boat forced the stroke of the Brooks men up from a scant 32 to 34 beats per minute, and both of them began to pull rapidly away from their opponents. But this started the downfall of the Lowell boaters, for the Anglers kept gradually lengthening their lead.

This gives to the Brooks crew the chance to race Yale at Derby, Connecticut, on Saturday, May 26; and also awards to them for the coming year the Agassiz Cup, which Winthrop won last Spring.