Harvard Ist eine Grosse Schoene Universitaet; Wir Lieben die Maedel von Hawaii, Says Cadet

Express Disapproval With Great Amounts Of Paint Used by The American Girl

"Why it was Hawaii that we best liked," remarked Hans-Bernard Michlowski the German cadet from the Kreuzer "Karlsruhe" to the CRIMSON reporter. "There we every night to dances went . . . Ho! ho we liked very much the girls with the grass . . . wie sagt man das? . . . skirts. They danced on beard, too.

We like your Harvard, but it is not like the universities of our country. We have not such large 'sleeping houses,' but the fellows live out with families.

"Ja, the American Fraulein is very beautiful but we notice the great amount paint and . . . what do you say . . . oh yes, lipstick and powder. In Deutschland ein Maedel, a girl of nice family would not even wear the power."

Very polite, very friendly, the cadets very eager both to ask, and to answer questions. Asked about the German attitude towards Roosevelt they smiled in evident admiration. "Roosevelt is a great man, ein grosser Fuhrer, amn nicht Zu sturzen (not to be deposed). We admire him very much."

The cadets, who have visited Italy, Egypt, India, Australia, Samoa, and Henolulu, were full of tales about their adventures on this long training cruise. Stories of past days, of palm trees and of sand, of native girls and southern nights, fought for expression in this horrible language along with questions and comments, wondering and, admiring, questioning and sometimes politely criticizing on these Vereinigten Stasten von Amerika.

But most of all their thoughts turned towards home. "We have travelled far," said they. "We have seen strange and marvellous things, but now would we return to Germany to our families for we have been a long time away."