The Crimson playgoer

British Turn "Sorrell and Son" into Fine Film in Spite of Sentimentality

By A.a. B. Jr.

Christopher Sorrell, M.D., has not been the only person to from the life of Captain Stephen Sorrell, M. C. The determined but self-sacrificing character of the British Army officer has won Warwick Deeping the Pulitzer prize. It has supplied Hollywood with material for a good silent film. And now it has given the British picture moguls a fine talking picture.

Sorrell accomplishes all this despite the fact that he is the dominating force that he is the dominating force of a story which is basically sentimental. It is because he brings a sincerity to it which many of the other Deeping characters have seen unable to do. When he returns to England after the War, neither his job nor his wife are awaiting him. But his bulldog tenacity makes him fight through the horrors of scrubbing floors and carrying trunks with one purpose: that of giving his son the things which he has missed in life. Either self-restraint or a more blatant heroic martyrdom will aid him in accomplishing his purpose. He chooses the former methods and thus avoids outbursts of Victorian sweetness which would destroy the strength of the picture.

H. B. Warner, who played Sorrell several years ago in the silent version, gives the role an understanding treatment. His portrayal is fully in accord with Deeping's characterization. Kit is the attractive, wholesome son, possibly of the type that is called the backbone of his country. The fact that it is a relief when he is not swayed by his wealth-loving mother shows that the picture has been thoughtfully directed. Lew Raymond has not only seen that "Sorrell and Son" is well-handled, but has provided sets which are in keeping with the spirit of the story.