Philbrick Jailed For Attempt To Load "Karlsruhe" With Posters

Spends Night at Headquarters Awaiting Action on Part of German Authorities

The harsh arm of the law descended Allen Kellogg Philbrick '35 secretary the Harvard Chapter of the N.S.L. at night when he was apprehended in or act of stuffing anti-Hitler propaganda down a blower in the German cruiser "Karlsruhe" now at anchor in the Charlestown Navy Yard.

Philbrick was caught in the act of dropping bundles of the pamphlets down the blowers by one of the German sailors on watch, who called a Marine guard to take charge of the matter. The Marine guard handed the culprit over to the commandant of the Navy Yard but this official declared that the affair was outside his jurisdiction and referred him to the Federal Marshal.

OFFICIALS EMBARRASSED

The Marshal, at a loss as to what to do such a prisoner who had been taken on a German ship handed Philbrick over to the Boston Police and the N.S.L. leader was taken to Headquarters. There he was booked as suspicious person and when questioned gave his name as Ibsen, residing at 148 New Hampshire Street. Cambridge. When this address was found to be false Philbrick admitted his identity. He spent the night in jail and will be held for further questioning.

The flyers, which ultimately clogged up the blowers on the "Karishruhe," contained among other statements the following exhortation, written in German: Attention German sailors! Let not Hitler lie to you. His promises are broken daily. Salvation lies in Communism. The heroic K.P.D. lives and fights. Join the fight, German sailors, for a free Soviet Germany.