HOSES AND GREENSWARD

Now that the Fire Department has served notice that Quincy Street should be made one-way, and parking prohibited on both sides, it is high time the University took steps to make the Street college property. The land on both sides is devoted to buildings which play an important part in University life, and there is little reason for Quincy's continuance as a public thoroughfare.

The Fire Department's contention that the movement of its engines is seriously hampered by the two-way traffic, and the large number of cars parked on both sides of Quincy Street, is fully justified, but the prospect of fire engines tearing madly at all hours of the day and night between Sever and Fogg, the President's house and the Faculty Club, is not a happy one. It Quincy were shut off completely, Fogg, the Faculty Club, and the Union would be brought into closer contact with the University. If the pavement were torn up and replaced by grass, Quincy Street would eventually appear to be merely an extension of the Yard, and the buildings on the East side would lose their present disconnected aspect.

Instead of Quincy, the Fire Department could use Prescott Street, which is by rights a public thoroughfare. If it were deemed necessary, some of the land to the rear of Fogg could be donated the city, to facilitate the engines' turning into Prescott. If the University is ever to act on the question of Quincy Street, now is the time, when the problem is up before the City Council. To delay would be to lose a golden opportunity in the integration of University life, and the beautification of University property.