VARSITY SLIDES INTO LEAGUE'S FOURTH SPOT

CORNELL TOPS LEAGUE BY WIN OVER YALE

By playing Holy Cross, which is not a member of the Eastern Intercollegiate League, Harvard dropped into fourth place in the League over the weekend. The Crusaders can't be entirely blamed in this, the trouble being the Cornell, Columbia, and Pennsylvania all won board to chase one of the circuit clouts out in Worcester. Fitton Field is something of a homerun ball park. There are obstacles in both left and right fields.

Columbia made the outstanding jump when she took both halves of a double-header away from the wild Indians up a Hanover by scores of 5-4 and 12-11. That shot the New Yorkers up from a .500 average to a .600, good enough for third place. In the meantime Cornell was holding its position at the top of the League by defeating Yale 7-2 at Ithaca. The Eli's bad heavy trouble both on the mound and in the infield. Pennsylvania completed the afternoon by adding, a 5-1 trouncing to Princeton to this list of victories.

Harvard Has Four More

In the remaining part of the season Harvard has four, possibly five more League games to play. Two of these are with Dartmouth, on June 9 and 14; the others with Yale, on June 19 and 20. If necessary the 5-5 tie with Princeton on April 19 will be played off. Winning all five of these possible game would give the Crimson an average of .750, enough to go into a three-fold tie for the championship of the League. The reason for this mathematical tie is that Cornell. Pennsylvania and Columbia all have scheduled encounters with this same bottom-place triumvirate of Yale, Dartmouth, and Princeton. If playoffs of postponed games don't upset this balance, the Mitchellmen have still at lest a paper chance of the pennant. The chance isn't too good a one, but judging by records so far Harvard ought to be able to take its four or five names if it can settle down and show something better than its performance on Saturday.

Four home runs were what spelled the 11-4 defeat for the Varsity against Holy Cross on Saturday. It was the first time this year that Captain Eddie Loughlin has cased up in his pitching, and the result shows what a potent factor in keeping the Mitchellmen in the running his mound work has been.

Loughlin Starts Well

The tough part about this Saturday battle out in Worcester was that the team was giving him pretty good support most of the time, in contrast to two three-hit games Loughlin has pitched and yet long within the past two weeks. Saturday just wasn't Eddie's day. For the first two innings he was going finely, and in the fourth and fifth he recovered himself, but in between were the terrible third, the gory sixth, and the unhappy seventh, each blasted by at least one home run. Until the third, Harvard had a 2-0 lead, but in that frame three Crusaders in a row got free tickets to first, the rest of the outfit started hitting, and it was all over at least seven runs were over.

Gleason Stars

In giving Loughlin support Franny Gleason deserves the biggest boost. All year Gleason has been amazing the fans by his miraculous running catches out in left field. On Saturday he reached his peak by grabbing a tons fly just as it came shifting through the branches of a tree that obstructed the far side of the pasture. Then, too, Hraman Gibbs had to take a nose dive under the score