Inspired by a Fable

THE MAIL

(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters and only under special conditions, at the request of the writer, will names be withheld.)

To the Editor of the CRIMSON

Your excellent editorial of yesterday entitled "Causa Belli" betrays such a perspicacious analysis of the issues in the Charlestown incident, and such an equilibrated sympathy for all parties involved, that I feel sure into have been inspired by the following fable from the works of an obscure disciple of Aesop, Permit me to quote from it:

"Once in an early age of the world, there emerged a struggle between the Fish and the Amphibian for the dominion of the seas. At length after long and futile encounters. It was adjudicated that which of the two Classes could raise its voice in louder din, that would win the dominion of the seas. After many months of preparation, the great day of the contest dawned and millions upon million of the denizens of the deep, from the farthest corners of the sea, assembled upon the shore. All was soon ready. The judges took their places. The multitudes were hushed. The momentous struggle was about to have its issue. Suddenly, bellowing profanities rolled in from the sea, and in another moment there clambered upon the shore, Leviathan, the whale. Taking position in the cleared area between the two Classes, and squirting jets of water in all directions by way of punctuation, he addressed himself as folows:

"My children! I am the Guardian of the waters and all its inhabitants, by appointment of Neptune, our Master. This joust is a menace to your safety, and contrary to the laws of divine love, and natural selection. Hence I must now protect you, my children from this, your peril.

"Wherewith, he fell upon his children land demolished all save a few, who fled back into the sea, content with their portion of it forevermore."

Unfortunately vandals have at this point mutilated the manuscript, and we are left to point the moral for ourselves. With many regrets,   L. Srole, 1G.