CRITIC ON THE HEARTH

With the announcement that the staff shall endeavor to put forth a paper which will in every way be an organ of the people and free speech the Harvard Critic once again is braving the Cambridge publication work with as many issues as interest will produce. Not two years ago the first issue of the Critic made a much heralded appearance on the news stands of the town. It was the first time in many a moon at Harvard that there had appeared a journal of controversy as liberal as the Critic seemed to be. Many members of their staff had avowed communistic feelings and no small number of articles were printed in the sheet to prove it. The paper was, perhaps, not handled in the wisest way, for it was not long before it had received some thing of an unsavory odor not only from the conservative sides of Harvard. Since then the paper has continued to appear, somewhat spasmodically, to be sure, but always with a few things of interest to attract the eye of the average Harvard man.

It was felt at the beginning of the present year that the sheet had folded its final papers last year, as most of their guiding lights were Seniors who have now left our sacred shores for more distant climes; and the numbers of men whose feelings and interests allowed them time and ability to run such an organization seemed definitely limited. It seemed to be felt that the extremely liberal minds of Harvard, who had some spark, had disappeared taking with them the solution to the problem of the Critic. But now indeed at last has come a group who boast that, despite their anti-communistic leanings, they can put out the Critic in a style to which it has never before been accustomed. They say he who feels the urge to write on any subject should willingly send them either a letter or article on any subject and from any view they desire. Almost a guarantee is given that the article will be published no matter to what side it leans.

Here indeed is a new stand for a paper born under the auspices of red parents; but, indeed, also is this new stand a commendable one. It is now the time when affairs of the nation are attracting the attention of the world more than ever in recent years, and it is the first occasion that the present generation has been given a chance to say its word. Ideas of all types and of exceedingly diverse views are being born in the mind of the undergraduate of today, yet he is usually without a medium of putting them before his colleagues. Here is a chance for the younger men in the college to express. There feelings upon the state of the nation, here is to be an in watching the views as they are thrashed out with the pen. If for nothing else, this new stand of the Critic will have merit for its position as a chronicle for the varying thoughts of the youth of today.