Racing Association To Stage 50 Mile Road Race For Gentlemen Drivers Over Half Mile Course

Hair Pin And Right Angle Turns To Increase Thrills For Spectators At Wayland

The automobile road race, popular in Italy, France and other continental European countries will make its first appearance in this section of the United States when the Automobile Racing Association of America stages a 50-mile amateur race next Sunday at the Wayland Circuit in Wayland, Massachusetts.

Sponsored by a group of men, among them J. H. Marshall '29 and other Harvard graduates, the race will be for gentlemen drivers over a half-mile course, and already an entry list of 15 prominent drivers has been made up by the committee.

Although the race will be on a circuit of approximately half a mile, the course has been arranged with a view to constructing it as realistically as possible. Two hairpin turns, six right-angle turns, numerous bends and one sharp hill help to relieve the monotony of the regular fiat track.

Road races, in spite of the enthusiasm with which they have been received in Europe have never found much favor in this country mainly because the roads were not available for such a use. Barron Gollier, advertising mogul, has contributed much time, effort and money to popularize road races and has built a circuit in Pocantico, New York, where races have been held for some time.

The group of Boston men who are sponsoring the race on Sunday, became interested in the venture and formed the Automobile Racing Club of America.

Most of the cars entered in the race are of foreign make with two Amilcars, two MG Midgets, one Lancia and one MG Magna leading the field.