1938 BOXERS OUTSLUG TECHNOLOGY FRESHMEN

Varsity Leaves Tonight for Match at Virginia--Sees Return to Lineup of Co-Captain William A. Smith

Putting on steam in the final bouts the Freshman boxers came from behind to defeat the M.I.T. yearlings, 5-3, at the Indoor Athletic Building last night.

Three Crimson heavyweights scored knockouts. After Arthur Oakes and Waldemar Wysocki and disposed of their opponents in the first round of the 155 and 165-pound classes, Hamlin Turner stepped into the ring and threw two rights. The first was wild; the second connected, and the referee stopped the fight.

The best boxing of the evening came in the 135-pound bout, where Henry Sherlock repeatedly forced Lucien, amateur champion of Trinidad, to the ropes, but weakened to lose out on points.

The summary:

Harvard 5, M.I.T. 3

115-pound class-Rugo (MIT) defeated Sidney Kibrick (H), by decision; 125-pound class--Murphy (MIT) defeated Waldo E. Stewart (H), by decision; 135-pound class--Luci]en (MIT) defeated Henry P. Sherlock, Jr. (H), by decision; 145-pound class--Dwight Ellis, Jr. (H) defeated Martin (MIT), by decision; 155-pound class--Arthur Oakes (H) defeated Wallace (MIT), by technical knockout, round 1; 165-pound class--Waldemar Z. Wysocki (H) defeated Holloway (MIT) by technical knockout, round 1; 175-pound class--Joseph F. Nee (H) won by default; Heavyweight class--E. Hamlin Turner, Jr. (H) defeated Fierman (MIT), by a technical knockout. HARVARD  VIRGINIA Kostarelos  115-pound  Hahn Kunen  125-pound  Rainey Ward  135-pound  Brooks Davis  145-pound  Womer Olney  155-pound  McClung Shea  165-pound  Wilkin Smith  175-pound  Noll Choate  Heavy weight  Cramer

Fresh from a victory over M.I.T. and eager to avenge last year's macing by the Southerners, the Varsity boxing team entrains tonight for Charlottesville where it will meet the University of Virginia mittmen tomorrow evening.

With the return of co-Captain William A. Smith '36 to competition in the 175-pound class, and the recovery of Timothy J. Shea, Jr. '36, 165-pound boxer whose hand was feared broken, the Crimson will be at top strength for the encounter