Memorial Society Is Leader in Study of Harvard History; To Play Major Part in the Tercentenary

Plans to Handle Undergraduate's Role in Celebration; Opens Membership to All

By Wheeler SAMMONS Jr. secretary and Harvard MEMORIAL Society

Next year, 1936, wil mark the Tercentenary of Harvard University. Just what does this mean to the average person, or, as a matter of fact, to most Harvard students? To many it probably implies little more than that there is to be some kind of an anniversary celebration; to others it means that Harvard wil be three hundred years old. But lot them stop to think that this means that Harvard began in 1636, just 140 years before the birth of the United States. Therefore this University must certainly have a history worthy of note. It has.

"To Foster among Students"

It is the duty of the Harvard Memorial Society not only to study this history, but also t arouse student interest in its many notable features. The original chapter of the Society states as the organization's aim: "To foster among students interest in the historical associations of Harvard, and to in an effort to fulfill this aim the Society has erected many bronze tablets on historic Harvard buildings drawn up an historical map of the Yard, compiled room lists of several Yard dormitories, published three editions of a Harvard Guide, and held celebrations on John Harvard's birthday. But the coming your will mark the Memorial Society's greatest work towards the furtherance of interest in Harvard history; it will play a major role in the direction of the undergraduate part of the Tercentenary Celebration.

The Tercentenary

The Memorial Society has already made plans for creating student interest in this great celebration. It has gone farther than this, and has compiled a list of suggestions as to how to make the celebration more interesting for the undergraduate. IT hopes to receive official sanction of many projects that should make this event as important to the Harvard students of the present as it will be to those of the past. And, lastly, it is striving to make possible convenient and inexpensive accomodations for undergraduates at the early September celebration.

Membership in the Society is open to all members of the University. During the year it will held dinners at which it will have as guests of honor authorities on Harvard's past. The first meeting will be next Thursday, and all members of the University are invited to attend.