SOLDIERS THREE

Three men with excellent senses of humor have been appointed to fill posts for the Alumni Association during the Tercentenary Year, Judge Hand, former President Lowell, and Charles Francis Adams '88. If the anniversary is to testify honesty to Harvard's heritage and not to resemble a Paramount stage show, this is a particularly important qualification. Too many people of late have been lowering their voices when discussing "our great event."

The new President, Judge Hand, has had a deservedly distinguished career on the New York Bench which, in his own words, is based largely on a "study of metaphysics and economics." Mr. Lowell, a chairman of the Tercentenary Committee, is an increasingly active tradition who represents the perpetuating quality of Harvard History. Mr. Adams outdistances competitors whether it be as a skipper, as secretary of the Navy, or as a Boston Brahmin.

These men represent what next September should represent. In addition, they have a sense of humor sufficiently robust that the impressive ogre of the three centuries of Harvard traditions will not distract their attention from what the great event really means.