WRY TEACHER?

Dr. Kirtley F. Mather of the Harvard University geology department discussion because of his reffisa subscribe to the compulsory teacher's oath of allegiance on the state of Massachusetts and the federal constitution.

Oil has been sprayed on the fires of the controversy by the public utterances of various public men concerning Dr. Mather's action, He has been characterized as a "moral coward." A state representative in speaking of Mather's action said: "When you realize that the teachers have control of the children about five hours a day, it must be obvious, even to Professor Mather, that the children should be protected from the influence of communism and all disloyal utterances and propaganda."

Dr. Mather and other less articulate colleagues in the high calling of education are not motivated in their opposition to oaths of allegiance simply because they feel any sympathy with communism and so on. They would like to be assured that all public officials who take oaths of allegiance as they assume public office consider those same oaths as sacredly as do school and college teachers to the end that government becomes as high a calling as teaching. - University Daily Kansan, Oct. 17