BALLANTINE AND KEPPEL NAMED AS MENTORS FOR 1939

White Reports Paid, Unpaid Pledges Indicate No Slashes in Budget Are Impending This year

Naming Arthur A. Ballantine, Jr. '36, president of the CRIMSON, Student Councilman in Charge of Freshman affairs and Francis Keppel '38, chairman of the 1938 Red Book, Sophomore Representative, the Student Council held its first meeting of the year last night in University Hall.

The important subject of the budget was tentatively discussed. Since $4030 has been collected in cash and $3100 are outstanding in pledges, Le Moyne White '36, treasurer, was able to indicate that no further slashes need be made in the Council program this year.

Aid Group Named

Preparing for the award of Council aid, President Thomas H. Quinn '36 appointed the scholarship committee of which he and White are members ex-officio. Its members are George G. Hedblom '37, Robert C. Hall '36, and Milton G. Green '36.

Ballantine and Keppel will choose members of 1939 for appointive positions, cooperate with head proctors on their problems, and will advise Freshmen on any projects which they may undertake. In short, they will exercise general supervision over first year men.

Active on Guide

Ballantine, who lives in Oyster Bay, New York, prepared at Milton. For the last two years he has been active in the publication of the Confidential Guide pamphlet to Freshman courses. He was named to the Council last May and is a members of the 1936 Album Committee. In his Freshman year he was on the Smoker Committee and sub-chairman of the Red Book Editorial Board.

Keppel, who lives in New York City, prepared at Groton. He was the first Red Book chairman to operate at a profit in a number of years. He was chairman of the Freshman Guide Committee which submitted a report to Dean Leighton last May criticizing various aspects of the first year.