DORGAN ATTACKS MATHER'S STAND ON STATE OATH BILL

Student Body Supports Mather's Views On Question--Petition Presented to Influential Seniors

As a result of the speech of Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, on Wednesday night, claiming that he would not support the Teachers Oath Bill, Representative Thomas Dorgan of Dorchester, sponsor of the bill, announced yesterday that unless public opinion is aroused sufficiently to force teachers to sign the oath, he would put teeth into the statute at the next session of the legislature.

The law as passed by the legislature in June had no penalty attached, and the Attorney General has not been asked for an official interpretation of the law as to the penalty for offenders, although it is known that he is against the bill and will prescribe no penalty.

Meanwhile, Professor Mather was censored by Harvey O. Burnett, of Harrisburg, an officer of the National Council of Red Men, John H. Walsh, state commander of the American Legion, Frederick Openshaw, state commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and John J. Walsh, state commander of the Disabled American Veterans.

Opinion among the faculty yesterday differed. A representative group reached by telephone claimed that they would sign the bill, but do it under protest. A few came out flatly against the oath. Wilbur C. Abbott, Francis Lee Higginson Professor of History, stated that all the members of the History Department to whom he had spoken would sign the bill under compulsion, but that there would probably be a petition from the Department against it.

Although the appropriateness of Professor Mather's remarks were doubted, the student body seemed to be squarely behind his stand, and a petition was being passed last night among influential members of the Senior Class backing him up.