CALLAWAY SOCKS CASE DELAYED UNTIL OCT. 17

YARD POLICE SUSPECTED THIEF FOR SEVERAL WEEKS

Haled into court yesterday after his capture by Winfield A. Huppuch 2L, former basketball star, while he was robbing 52 Mt. Auburn Street Saturday, George Ryan asked and obtained continuance of the case until Wednesday, October 16.

In the Third District Court, East Cambridge, with Samuel R. Callaway '36, owner of the stolen socks, Frederick R. Moseley, Jr. '36, and Dan Rooney, janitor, as witnesses, Ryan at first pleaded nole, which was not allowed; as a second attempt at evasion, he requested that the case be continued.

Convicted Five Times

Upon investigation by Inspector Leahy, of the Central Square Police Station, who is handling the case, it was found that Ryan had been convicted of five other larcencies, the first in a Tech dormitory in 1927. He has been under suspicion by members of the Yard police for several wooks.

As a sidelight on the situation, it was found upon investigation that Huppuch was unassisted in the capture of the thief, and that no patrolman entered the case until after the culprit was thoroughly subdued. While Huppuch was studying in his room, he noticed the door knob turn. Leaping from his chair, he tore open the door and found an individual looking for Moseley. He was recognized as a thief and captured by Huppuch, in the proccus dropping a pair of Callaway's seeks from his pockets.