HARDING CHOSEN HEAD USHER FOR UNION DANCE

WILL ALSO CONDUCT SURVEY OF FRESHMAN HOBBIES

Appointment of Francis A. Harding, Jr. as Head Usher of the large Union dance to be held Saturday evening, December 7 was announced following the Union Committee Meeting Friday night.

Harding, who prepared at Noble and Greenough and lives in Dedham, was a member of the Freshman football team and is a candidate for the hockey squad. He will submit a list of prospective ushers to the Union Committee for their approval early in the week.

Other plans for the first large Freshman social function of the year were decided upon at this meeting of the Union Committee. The dance will last from 8.30 o'clock until 12 o'clock.

The details of the most extensive ticket canvass before a social affair in recent years were arranged. Every Yard dormitory will be covered by a member of the Union Committee under the direction of R. Bennett Forbes, ticket manager.

The Committee has announced that it will award a free ticket to any volunteer who sells ten tickets. Several men are already working on this plan, but there are opportunities for a few more, and men desiring to do this work should see Hedblom in Thayer 32 today or tomorrow. Until December 1 tickets are priced at $1.25 a couple and $1.00 stag.

Charles D. Dyer, 3rd, suggested at the Union Committee meeting that a survey be made of the hobbies of the members of the Freshman class, and the suggestion was adopted.

Kendric N. Marshall '21, instructor in Government, who is Secretary of the Union, will send out postcards to all Freshmen this week, asking them to name their hobbies, whether they are stamp collectors, ship model builders, or breeders of tropical fish.

These cards will then be catalogued and it will be possible for any Freshman to obtain the names of his classmates who have similar interests.

Marshall intends to organize some discussion groups on the hobbies the most men are interested in; one group of stamp collectors has already been started. This is the first time this kind of an experiment has been attempted.