LIBBY TELLS VIEWS ON WAYS TO ACHIEVE PEACE

Threefold Program Embraced by the National Council for Prevention of War

Not futile emotionalism, but congressional action is the way to achieve peace, according to Frederick J. Libby, executive secretary of the National Council for the Prevention of War, who spoke before the Peace Society meeting in Emerson D last night.

The National Council for the Prevention of War has a three point program for the next session of Congress: first, the extension of peace legislation rushed through in the last few days of the last session of Congress; second, reduction of army and navy appropriations; third, the killing of the Military Disaffection Bill.

It is the hope of the Council that embargoes include loans and credit, copper, cotton, and minerals. The object of the campaign is to stay out of war, not to remain neutral. Neutrality implies freedom of the seas, but by such legislation, the demands of neutrality are relinquished and peace is the only objective.

"All this talk about national defense," according to Libby, "is bunk. No country will attack us by land, and our navy will protect us by sea. The naval advocates say we need big ships to operate in distant seas where we have no naval bases. This is not national defense, but aggressive war."