Keith's Memorial Theatre and Raymond's Both Among Real Estate Owned by Harvard Today

Memorial One of Three Theatres Given To Harvard by Son of B. F. Keith in 1918

Within Harvard walls and on Harvard land, Keith's Memorial Theatre and Raymond's carry on their business today. These two Boston institutions and several other theatres, stores and bargain basements are included with such more dignified buildings as Widener Library and Memorial Hall as possessions of Harvard University.

It was from the family of B. F. Keith, famous theatrical producer and founder of American vaudeville, that Harvard obtained its three theatres, including the Keith's Memorial in Boston. In the late eighties Keith obtained the old Boston Theatre and when he died, this passed with the rest of his estate to his son, A. Paul Keith '01. He in turn left it with two other theatres to his alma mater, Harvard, when he died in 1918.

Keith's Memorial Harvard Property

A large lease was contracted with the company which operated the Keith's Memorial, and the vaudeville continued under Harvard walls. When the company decided that the theatre was becoming obsolete, Harvard agreed to its rebuilding, and bought a small parcel of land from the city of Boston to complete the lot and make the new theatre possible. In Pittsburg is another theatre from the estate of Keith; according to the residents of Pittsburg, this used to be a burlesque, but was recently converted into a motion picture house.

Raymond's is another Harvard possession; but few people seemed to know it. Amid the bustling shoppers and to the music of the "Kris Kringles Krismus Kaper Kadoodlers", shop girls disclaimed all knowledge of Harvard ownership.

Rubber Salesman Proud of Harvard

Over on the rubber counter, an old attendant was busy helping his customers and watching out for sneak thiefs. He took great pride in the fact that "the greatest college" owned what appeared to him the greatest store in the world. "Yes, sir," he said, "I know Harvard is the owner; they've had it for over fifty years."