TRAFFIC RESEARCH TO CONTINUE AT HARVARD

GIFT OF AUTO MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATIONS

A gift of $54,250 has been granted to the Harvard University Bureau for Street Traffic Research by the Automobile Manufacturers Association.

Of his sum, $21,000 will be used to provide 15 fellowships, to be awarded to college graduates for one year of study at the bureau in the problems of street and highway traffic control.

Operating Since 1926

Many other grants from the automobile industry have enabled the bureau to operate since 1926, and several large cities have called upon the bureau for aid in the solution of their traffic difficulties.

"This grant means that the bureau will continue to increase the research activities," said Miller McClintock, director of the bureau since its establishment. "Many of the principles of traffic control as now applied professionally throughout the field were developed in Harvard University. This expansion of activities is a reflection of the importance of this phase of research and training. "It is indicative of the significance which the traffic problem has assumed in American life and of the advances which have been made in developing technique for the reduction of traffic accidents and of congestion. There is now a wide demand throughout the United States both in government and in private organizations for the services of men who are thoroughly trained in methods in this field."