GOVERNMENT LECTURES BY WRIGHT THIS WEEK

First in Extra-Curriculum Series to Be Given, as Last Year, by Members of Government Department

Following a policy initiated last year, by his department, Benjamin F. Wright, Assistant Professor of Government, will deliver three lectures on Judicial Review and the Protection of Vested Interests tomorrow, Wednesday, and Friday at 3 o'clock in Harvard 1.

The purpose of these lecture series, which are to be given by members of the Government Department through the current year, is not to constitute courses, but rather to supplement ordinary instruction. They are open only to members of the University.

In his addresses Professor Wright intends to set forth some illustrations of the ways in which the power of the Supreme Court to declare laws unconstitutional has been used to protect a variety of property rights.

Contract Clause

"The Rise and Decline of the Contract Clause" is the first lecture. Here an attempt will be made to show that a clause placed in the Constitution almost as an afterthought was by a strange process of interpretation, turned into a powerful weapon for judicial destruction of varieties of legislation to which it was never intended to be made applicable.

Ways in which another constitutional phrase was given a meaning seemingly not intended by its framers, again to the end of protecting property rights, and usually those of great corporations, against attempts at legislative regulations, will then be delt with in "The Growth of Due Process.