STUDENT COUNCIL TO INQUIRE INTO LANGUAGE RULING

Heads Committee of Three Appointed By Council to Conduct New Inquiry Among Undergraduates

To learn whether the undergraduates support President Conant in his plea for abolition of the Latin requirement, the Student Council has drawn up a questionnaire which asks each man to give his opinion of the value of elementary language courses and of the desirability of liberalizing the present rules regarding minimum requirements.

The questionnaire, which is shortly to be submitted to the entire undergraduate body, is the work of a special committee appointed by the Student Council under the chairmanship of Arthur S. Pier '35. Other members of the committee are Francis D. Moore '35, Edwin I. Brainard '35, and Robert C. Hall '36.

Possible Changes

Before presenting a list of nine questions the questionnaire gives a resume of the main ways of altering the existing regulations. These revolve, according to the Committee, around the proposal to drop entirely the rules which require an elementary knowledge of one language. In place of this the Committee would either stress a reading knowledge or would confine the requirements to a knowledge of only one language.

The questions themselves range all the way from the frank query "Do you favor the abolition of the elementary language requirement?" to the general principle involved in "For each of the elementary courses you have taken to satisfy the language requirements, explain what value or interest it has for you other than as a means of meeting the requirement, i.e. cultural value, mental training, etc."