HARVARD NOT TO SEND STUDENTS TO GERMANY

HENRY FAIRFIELD OSBORN URGES FIRST-HAND STUDY

That Henry Fairfield Osborn, former president of the Natural History Museum in New York, urged President Conant to send parties of students to investigate social and political conditions in Germany and found no Presidential support is revealed in a letter published by the Yale Daily News yesterday. He also advocated sending similar parties to Russia and Italy.

The letter discloses that shortly after his return from Europe he asked Mr. Conant to send to Germany experienced, fair-minded and open-minded observers of an extraordinary political situation, namely, of an entire people rejoicing in a new order of things and determined to bring about the rebirth of Germany. He states that "for various reasons" his suggestion was rejected.

Stressing the increasing debate on really live modern issues at colleges today, he sees in these parties "The introduction of a truly scientific method in political and economic questions, similar to the laboratory and field methods now pursued in the biological sciences."

He claims that if Mr. Conant is to be consistent he should dispatch "parties of students to actually observe sociological, economic, and political questions where new experiments are being tried on a titanic scale for example Russia, Germany, Italy, and the United States as represented by our highly experimental present government in Washington."