PRESIDENT LOWELL SCORES PROPOSED CHILD LABOR LAW

Scoring the destruction of parental authority which would ensue if the Child Labor Amendment were to be enacted into the Constitution, President-emeritus Lowell once again emerged from his retirement yesterday to strike at forces he considers detrimental to the country and the world.

The former President, addressing a packed auditorium in the State House, declared that there was nearly as much danger in the proposed amendment as exists in Prohibition and reconstruction legislation after the Civil War, "the two outstanding blunders of the American nation in the course of its history."

Pointing out the Massachusetts Legislature's rejection of the bill extending the school age-limit to 16 as an example of what might happen, he said, "Were the Child Labor Amendment on the books, it would be possible for Congress to override the action of the State Legislature."

He also mentioned Elihu Root, who celebrated his ninetieth birthday yesterday, Dr. Nicholas Murray Butler, Alfred E. Smith, and William D. Guthrie as opposed to the legislation.