BUILDING SOUGHT FOR ENGINEERING SCHOOL

Clifford Stresses Need of Money in Three Branches Where Progress Is Being Steadily Made

Seeking to make Harvard an internationally known center for work in specialized scientific fields, Dean Harry E. Clifford of the Engineering School in his annual report yesterday declared that new buildings and additional funds must be provided for further research work in applied mechanics, sanitary engineering, and high voltage, the three lines along which Harvard has made its most notable advances during recent years.

In these three fields, according to Dean Clifford, Harvard has a chance to win world-wide fame if it can only extend its facilities. For in two of them, sanitary engineering and high voltage, members of the Engineering School staff have already done work of such a calibre that the University has been placed in the forefront of scientific progress.

Further advances along these lines, Dean Clifford stated, will require the erection of a new building or wing which can be devoted chiefly to research laboratories. This would take the form, according to the report, of "institutions in which research and teaching can be developed by engineers, biologists, and chemists working together."