Coolidge Appointed to Corporation; Two New Deans Are Approved by Overseers

Drinker Named Dean of School Of Public Health--Has Been Acting Dean

Two important positions left vacant in the University by the retirement last December of David L. Edsall were finally filled yesterday, when the Board of Oversees confirmed the choice of Charles S. Burwell, professor of Medecine in Vanderbilt College, to become the new Dean of the Medical School, and Cecil K. Drinker, professor of Physiology, to be the Dean of the faculty of the School of Public Health.

Denver Man

Dr. Burwell, who was born in Denver, Colorado, was graduated from Allegheny College in 1914, taking his M.D. at Harvard in 1919, where he remained as a teaching fellow until 1921, when he became an instructor and, three years later, an associate in medicine, at John Hopkins Medical School. In 1925, he was called to the School of Medicine at Vanderbilt College, where he has since remained, being raised to a professor in 1928. He is best known for his work on the heart, and on the reactions of the heart and the blood stream to various drugs.

Drinker Acting Dean

Dr. Drinker has been acting Dean of the faculty of the School of Public Health since Dr. Edsall's resignation. He took an S.B. at Haverford College in 1908, being appointed an instructor in physiology at the School of Public Health in 1916. Two years later he was made an assistant professor, a year later an associate professor, and, in 1923, a full professor of physiology. He was appointed Assistant Dean of the School of Public Health, in 1924. With his appointment as Dean comes the post of Research Professor of Clinical Medicine.