IMPROVING COURSES FROM WITHIN

When, at the end of a first half-year course in government, the professor requested suggestions as to how the course might be improved, he displayed an attitude which could well be more generally adopted. No one is better qualified to pass judgment on courses than those who take them, and if the response to similar requests is intelligent and constructive, professors should be able to adapt their method and presentation to the changing demands of the times.

Few sensations are as discouraging to a student as that coming from the realization that he has benefited little if at all from a course to which he has devoted considerable thought and time. If his feelings are shared by many, it is only right that they should have an opportunity to offer proposals for the betterment of the evils which are most obvious. Possibly a professor may be taking for granted a greater or lesser degree of background than his students have achieved, in which case reform would be simple. No matter how deep may be the causes for dissatisfaction, they must be brought to the surface if the course is to be of any lasting value.

The policy of soliciting undergraduate opinion would be of primary importance in evaluating new courses. With an increasing number of candidates for honors, and a supposedly maturer undergraduate body, student reaction can be counted on to assist professors in the difficulties inevitable in the presentation of material from novel standpoints. There is definite need for closer relations between the faculty and the undergraduates, and there is no question that if the latter's cooperation is encouraged, a thoroughly worth while liaison may be effected.