VARSITY, 1938 FENCERS BEATEN BY ELI TEAMS

Crimson Swordsmen Show Superiority In Foils but Are Vanquished in Epee And Sabre

Both Varsity and Freshman swordsmen fell before the onslaught of powerful Blue teams in the Payne Whitney Gymnasium at New Haven Saturday. The teams met in a double-header program with the Eli Varsity triumphing 16-11 and the first year men meeting defeat 15 1-2--11 1-2.

The Crimson fencers gained a 5-4 edge in the foils class, but could only take three bouts to Yale's six in the epee and sabre duels. John Reppun and Philip Lilienthal were the outstanding Harvard performers in the foils bouts, both taking two wins and meeting defeat only once, both falling before Holcombe.

The only other Crimson man to take two bouts was Morton Grant who fought his way to two victories in the sabre class and was defeated only once by MacVey.

In the Freshman matches John Rowley who captains the team and has been consistently triumphant all season defeated his three opponents decisively while Francis Blake and Edwin Skinner emerged with two wins in the sabre to give the Crimson a 5-4 edge in this event.

The Varsity goes into the Intercollegiate to be held in New York Friday and Saturday with only two defeats, the other being from Navy.