Professor F. W. Taussig Resigns From Department of Economics

Was Chairman of U. S. Tariff Commission and President of Economic Association

Frank William Taussig '79, Henry Lee Professor of Economics since 1901, one of America's leading economists, has resigned and will become professor-emeritus effective September 1, it was announced yesterday at University Hall.

Professor Taussig has served on the Harvard faculty since 1882, and has held the positions of chairman of the United States Tariff Commission and president of the American Economic Association. He is at present editor of the Quarterly Journal of Economics, a position he has filled since 1896.

After graduating from the Law School with honors in 1886, he was offered the post of assistant professor of Economics by President Eliot for five years, at the end of which time he became a full professor.

First Publication

His first book, "The Tariff History of the United States," reflected his major interest in the field of Economics, in the pursuit of which he has become world-renowned. As early as 1892 he was drawn into the national economic situation, being one of a deputation sent to Washington to protest against threatened legislation for free silver.

During the Great War, Professor Taussig not only acted as chairman of the Tariff Commission in 1917, but subsequently served the Treasury, the Food Administration, and the War Industries Board. In the spring of 1919 he went abroad to take part in the economic sessions of the peace negotiations.