PROFESSOR TAUSSIG

Professor Taussig's resignation from the Henry Lee Professorship of Economics after fifty-six years in the service of Harvard and twenty-five years incumbency of that chair marks another epoch in the history of the University as well as the formal ending of Professor Taussig's active teaching. From the time when he was secretary to President Eliot in the year following his graduation, Mr. Taussig has intimately shared in the growth and development of Harvard's institutions and its fame for scholarship.

A contemporary of giants such as the Jameses, Professors Royce, Emerton, Wendell, and a good many more who will always be revered, Professor Taussig is much more than their peers in time: for his scholarly eminence is at least the equal of theirs, and his devotion to the University no whit less. Best known to undergraduates, perhaps, is his "Principles of Economics" which together with his other copious writings has colored the economic thought of the country for almost forty years. Outside of strictly academic pursuits he found myriad interests ranging from Chairman of the Wilson Tariff Commission in 1917 to editorship of the Quarterly Journal of Economics, which post he has held with distinction since 1896.

While it is with regret that Harvard hears of his retirement, we can be sure that Professor Taussig will never lose touch with the university to which he has given his life's work, and he bears from all who know him the wish that his retirement will bring well-merited satisfaction and rest.