FRESHMEN UPHOLD CROSS-SECTIONS

House Masters, Waitresses, Physical Advantages as Well as Financial, Scholastic Reasons Given

While three-quarters of the Freshmen who have answered the CRIMSON Confidential Guide Questionnaire endorse the cross-section plan governing the Houses, their choice is based chiefly on the social factor, a compilation of the returns discloses.

One hundred and thirty-four Freshmen have answered "Yes" to the question "Do you approve of the present 'cross-section' plan?"; 39 register complete disapproval; 13 are undecided, 12 doubt if it works; and five endorse it with reservations. This makes a total of 203 replies.

Since many men are choosing a House for two or three reasons, these results have been tabulated on a percentage basis. Taking the average Freshman, one finds 49.1 percent of his choice based on social reasons; 26.4 percent scholastic; 7 percent physical; 5.2 percent financial; and 10.3 percent on other reasons.

The other reasons included the Library, the House Master, House activities, the Adams House swimming pool; the waitresses, and ten with no reasons at all.

Criticism of the House Plan seemed to fall into several well-defined channels. Over ten men feel that room prices are too expensive and about the same number complain about dining hall rates.

Apparently, there is a decided feeling in the Class that men should be allowed to change their House in either their Junior or Senior year if they so desire. A desire for more information about the Houses is evident with a few men believing that floor plans should be sent to the Freshman Class.

Among the other criticisms are demands for tutors outside one's House, for more House activities, for abolition of Clubs, for less partisan administration, for abolition of Central Committees, and for developing the Houses by specific fields such as English or History.