MID-YEAR MARKS SHOW SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT

Record Vindicates University's Step in Abolishing Probation for All But Freshmen at Hall

Mid-year grades have confirmed the University's step in abolishing the return of November grades and the reporting of attendance in courses, primarily for Junior and Seniors.

Dean Hanford yesterday revealed the results of an analysis of the mid-year records of Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors which indicate that in each of the three classes the percentage of men on the Dean's List is greater than that of a year ago. For the three classes as a whole the percentage of men doing unsatisfactory work has been lowered, although the Junior Class shows a slight increase in failures.

The figures by classes follow: Per Cent on Dean's List   1934-35  1933-34 Juniors  23.3  21.4 Sophomores  19.0  17.4 New Freshmen  15.7  14.9 Per Cent Unsatisfactory   1934-35  1933-34 Juniors  7.7  7.5 Sophomores  12.9  13.1 New Freshmen  19.1  21.0

Statistics regarding Seniors were not compiled because of the lack of uniformity in the number of courses taken by them.