316 SENIORS CHOOSE OCCUPATIONS IN POLL

ONLY 45% ENTERING FIELDS OF FIRST CHOICE

Law, business, medicine, and teaching will be the occupations of the majority of the Class of 1935, and chemistry, engineering, and architecture will be others of the more popular professions, if the indications of a poll made recently by Vincent H. Palmer '35 are any criterion.

Three hundred and sixteen Seniors replied to Palmer's survey, and more than two-thirds indicated one of these occupations as their future profession. The remaining third listed a number of variegated undertakings, ranging from archeology, aviation, piano making, and the theatre, to comic art, puppetry, and pioneering agricultural work in Palestine. Only 11 had as yet formed no definite idea.

Significant in the tabulation is the fact that only 45 per cent of the men are entering vocations for which they have a personal preference. A great number specified that they would rather write, travel, enter the diplomatic service, or engage in teaching if external circumstances allowed. Others would enter the fields of music, art, academic research, aviation, farming, the Army, entomology, journalism, or fashion reporting. One even professed that he would like to be a perennial undergraduate.

As for hobbies or part-time jobs, the Seniors showed a decided partiality for the field of Arts, inasmuch as 169 of them indicated that their interests lay in this direction. 106 said that they were interested in trying their hands at politics, while 76 announced that their vocations would be scientific pursuits.

In 25 years, Palmer will edit a book following the history of the Class of 1935 in a way not covered by the regular Reunion Book. However, one does not have to wait 25 years to see the information compiled, for a detailed account of the survey will be included in the Senior Class Album.