FIRST YEAR MEN COME HERE MAINLY TO STUDY

MAJORITY FEEL THAT STUDIES ARE FIRST CONSIDERATION

That first-year men come to Harvard primarily to study was proved conclusively by the answer to the section in the Freshman Questionnaire concerning extra-curricular activities recently tabulated.

Forty-two Freshmen out of every hundred have engaged or have attempted to engage in some outside activity if the 162 answers received to this part of the question can be considered representative, and forty-one percent of these men find that the activity interfered with their scholastic work.

To the query, "If extra-curricular activity does interfere, which do you think it better to curtail, (activity or scholastic work)?" only 31 percent thought that studies should take the rap, while 69 percent felt that studies came first.

Several men even went so far as to say that they had not gone out for any activity for fear that the time it would take would necessarily diminish the more solid benefits to be derived from the University which they had bought with their tuition fees.

A great many of those that had tried some activity were emphatic in their plea that the value of this form of "unofficial" education be recognized to a greater degree by the University. They request that more attention be paid to extra-curricular work in the Dean's office.

This was supplemented by the suggestion that more information concerning these opportunities, found to be less obvious, but not less important, in this sphere than in that of course work, be given to entering men.

"Activities essential for what Harvard is," and "Value of extra-curricular work should be stressed more" constantly appear beside the complaints against the lack of time caused by financial and scholastic pressures.