TIGERS BEAT VARSITY CREW BY FOUR SECONDS

TIGERS PUSHED TO WIN BY LENGTH AND A HALF

With two first and one second to their credit the Harvard eights gave the many spectators who lined the banks of the basin Saturday afternoon an encouraging display of strength which outshone expectations and served to mitigate any pangs Crimson racing enthusiasts may have had over the third failure to capture the Compton Cup.

The Varsity eight gave the Tiger crew, hailed as a speedy bunch of watermen after their spectacular victory over the Pennacs, all it could handle in the mile and three quarters race while the Jayvees and Freshmen put up sterling performances on the same course to blank both Tech and Princeton.

After the Jayvee race in which the Tiger seconds, who were thought to be almost as good as their Varsity mates, had been defeated by two and a half lengths, sudden hope for the Compton Cup ran high. This was accentuated since a comparison of the times showed that the Crimson yearlings had one 3 2-5 seconds better than the Nassau second Varsity.

The hope was nearly gratified when Sam Drury's higher stroke gradually diminished the lead established by both M.I.T. and Princeton in the first quarter mile, and after catching the Engineers at the bridge, began to force the Crimson shell closer to the Orange and Black blademen. After leaving Tech behind, the Drury eight, capitalizing smoothly on its 34, which was two points during the present week and appointments may be made through the secretary in Room C. Information regarding accomodations in the various dormitories may be obtained at the Bursar's office.