ILLNESS HITS VARSITY CREW; AUSTIN NOW OUT

Number Two Man May Not Be Able to Row Saturday--Place Taken by O. K. Scott, From Jayvees, at 4

The bugbear of sickness which held up the early season development of the Varsity eight has again reappeared just after Coach Charlie Whiteside thought it had been laid to rest and the crews were on the sunny road to smoothing out.

John Austin, who rowed bow on the Freshman boat against Yale last year and who has been pulling the number two oar in the Drury shell for the past ten days, was unable to report yesterday and there is a possibility that he may not be able to row Saturday. Reports today will determine whether Austin will be allowed to return and oust Oliver Scott, who took over the position Saturday.

Scott, a Sophomore who made his rowing debut last June, came from the Jayvee boat where he held the number four position, leaving a vacancy which was filled by Jim Gardner, one of the four veterans of last year's Eli race, until yesterday rowing on the third Varsity.

The next race is Saturday in the basin when the Crimson Varsity will enter a four-sided regatta with Cornell, M.I.T., and Syracuse.