THE PRESS

The Mountain To Mahomet

Unusual concentration of interest unusual continuity of service, mark the life-story of Fred Wadsworth Moore and explain the unusual merit of his work as graduate treasurer of Harvard's athletics. One turns back to the autumn of 1889 when Fred Moore was a Freshman in college, and one finds him manager of his class football team. As a Senior, of course, he is manager of the varsity. He determines to win a degree at the law school, and he wins it, but in the way, he takes "time out" to serve for a year or more as Harvard's graduate manager of athletics. Then to be sure, he goes on into the "wide wide world." into practical professional life as a lawyer but to what ultimate purpose? Only one might say that the boy who had managed the freshman football team should gather maturity, develop judgment build up competence and experience as an executive, and then turn these all back, in 1914 to the service of Harvard's athletics as their graduate treasurer. In that office, until yesterday, he gave for thirteen years his full time, the first man ever to take this task as his only task, his only end.

Inevitably this continuity of Fred Moore's effort means continuity of the value to Harvard of the fruits of that effort. In the years after 1913, Moore, by giving the graduate treasurership his own full time, constructed for this office a complete, an efficient, a business like system, for use of the time of others: In a word, he created and perfected a real business organization. One which now will run on, even though the boss be gone on a holiday a holiday which also was a Solidiers' Day from which he will never return. The Boston Transcript.