DEAN POUND HEADS AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ARTS, SCIENCES

Academy Is Second Oldest Scientific Organization in Country-Bowdoin Was First President

Roscoe Pound, Dean of the Law School, was elected president of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences at its annual meeting and election Wednesday evening, to succeed George H. Parker '87, professor of Zoology and Director of the Zoological Laboratory.

Also chosen were 30 fellows and five honorary members. Among the newly elected fellows are Jeromo D. Greene '96, Secretary to the Corporation and director of the tercentenary celebration; Henry A. Murray, Jr. '15, assistant professor of Abnormal and Dynamic Psychology; Henry L. Shattuck '01, Treasurer of the University and member of the Corporation; Walker R. Spalding '87, professor of Music, emeritus; Derwent S. Whittlesey, associate professor of Geography, and tutor; and Tyler Dennett, president of Williams College.

Located at 28 Newbury Street, Boston, the Academy is the second oldest scientific organization in the United States, having been chartered in 1780 in Massachusetts by some of the most prominent men of the time. Its first president was James Bowdoin, Harvard alumnus of 1745 and Governor of the State, who was succeeded by John Adams of the Class of 1755.

Among the funds for research awarded by the body is the Rumford Premium, given for the most "important discovery for useful improvement on Heat, or on Light," from the $5,000 given by Count Rumford.