MOVE TO OUST HEARST NEWS RECEIVES SUPPORT

Petition Is Signed by 300, Including Professors--Similar Feeling at Other Colleges

Closing the first day during which petitions requesting the management of the University Theatre to remove Hearst Metrotone News from its programs were circulated, the Liberal Club announced that it had already secured more than 300 signatures in Harvard and Radcliffe, including several prominent members of the Faculties.

The campaign against the Hearst newsreel at Harvard was preceded by similar undertakings at Williams, Princeton, and Amherst. All resulted in the dropping of the newsreel from programs in the local theatres.

Following its removal from a local Williamstown theatre, according to the Williams Record, Mr. Hearst sent a number of special investigators to Williams in an effort to determine whether the move had been directed from Moscow.

At Princeton, where the petition was circulated by the Daily Princetonian, over 1000 signatures were obtained, of whom 891 were undergraduates.

Meanwhile Mr. Stanley Sumner, Manager of the University Theatre in Cambridge, issued the following statement:

"I have taken note of the CRIMSON editorial of yesterday regarding the Hearst Metrotone News. As I see it the manager of a theatre is acting as the agent of the audience; it is his job to arrange programs to please the greatest number. When and if an objection is raised against any part of the program, and if this opinion in the estimation of the management represents the feeling of a considerable number of people, I would consider it to be very poor policy to persist in showing the subject found objectionable. In line with this thought, when and it the petition is received, we will take immediate steps leading to the prompt removal of the feature in question."