KNOWING'S BIGGEST Thrill, "They're Off" at Poughkeepsie

THE most thrilling moment--when does it come? Many have been the sporting situations in fiction and in fact which have been pictured to bring home this sensation, but to those who have ever seen the start of a varsity race in the annual Intercollegiate Regatta at Poughkeepsie there can be no other most thrilling moment. It's there, and it's got everything that goes to give any fun excitement and gooseflesh.

Seven boats, each with eight oars protruding, lined up like as many centipedes on the west side of the Hudson river, each held in place by a marker bost. That is the scene upon which the spectators in the 40 flatcars look. The official yacht draws up astern. An old, but erect man, Julian W. Curtiss, a Yale oarsman of the seventies and referee for almost three decades, steps forward.

Silence in the observation train. The entire flotills of destroyers, patrol boats, canoes, yachts, and excursion steamers which follow the wake of the racing shells seem to pause in absolute quiet. Clearly, Referee Curtiss voice rings out for all to hear, "Are you ready all?"

The gun barks.

"They're off" And anything may happen--in fact, has happened, and probably will happen again.

* * *

"WATCH Cornell" has been the bugaboo of every shell since the first big race on the Hudson, July 2, 1901." For it was the big Red crew that won the first three races and 10 of the first 12 races. Since that time, the Cornell record has not been as high although in recent years they have been standing with Columbia as the best the East can offer against the double western threat of Washington and California.

During the first 13 years of the Poughkeepsie Regatta, victory was an upstate New York monopoly, for when Cornell did not win, Syracuse did. In the last three races prior to the three-year lapse during the war, Columbia, Cornell, and Syracuse were the respective winners. When competition was resumed in 1920, Syracuse again won. It was not until two decades after the first race that Navy, a natural for the rowing sport, was able to break the ice. Pennsylvania, the fifth member of the Intercollegiate Rowing Association, has never crossed the line a winner.

While the membership of the I. R. A. is limited to the five original members, invitations are extended to other colleges with crews to compete. Wisconsin finished third, when a guest at the first regatta, and took second and third places in the two following years. Since 1929, the Badgers have not competed on the Hudson, but they continue to receive annual invitations. Of the other original guests, Georgetown and Stanford dropped crew as a sport years ago, but signs of a revival are imminent at the Far Western college.

Washington and California stand today as the most renowned guests and the best crews year in and year out at Poughkeepsie. Since 1922, the Huskies have been at Poughkeepsie to finish in the first three places every year with the exception of 1930. First in 1923, 1924, and 1926, second five times, and third three times, they have a record that commands respect on the Hudson.

The fastest time ever recorded for the four-mile course which runs past Krum Elbow and Hyde Park, home of President Roosevelt, and under the two bridges, was California's 18:35 4/5 in 1928. The same crew, which beat Columbia in this race by less than a boat length, went on to win an Olympic victory. A similar record although not in time, was hung up by the Golden Bears of 1923. California also won in 1934, following the depression lapse of 1933.

When when nine crews crews collected 72 jerseys. In that crew to report to the start line on time caused the race to be rowed in darks against a heavy tide.

A ducking in the water is the reward of the . The ritual, which today follows every race, is the say method of expressing the boat's for his bullying cries of the race.

Since the death of Wisconsin's "Dad" Vail in there has been only one grand old man in rowing, Jim Ten Eyck of Syracuse, now in his 86th year and active in the sport. His son, Young Jim, is coaching the infant Rutgers crew on Raritan. Syracuse, under Ten Eyck, is always a threat.

So it goes, at Columbia, the Glendons, at Cornell, Jim Wray, at California minute Ky Ebright, at Pennsylvania, Rusty Callow, and at Washington, Al Ulbricks all stand-out coaches. The latter three are all Washington men, that institution in crew coaching today as Notre Dane does in football. Other stories might told about each of them. And more color can be found in the lakes and inlets rivers, upon which the crews train, but late in the afternoon of Tuesday, June 18 eyes will be on Poughkeepsie, in the seven lanes leading out from the west the Hudson river.

* * *

AT INTERVALS of one hour, the three races, freshman, junior varsity, and will be rowed for respective distances of two, three, and four miles, begins at four o'clock eastern standard time. Each time, the observation train will start follow the boats, as will the river flotills. Twice they will retrace their movement until the big varsity race.

Seven crews, Columbia, Cornell, Syracuse, Pennsylvania, Navy, Washington and California, will face the starter a gun above Krum Elbow. A few days the race they will be assigned to their lanes, beginning with the treasured the first from the bank. But good crews in the outside lane have been known to .

From the coast will again come the favorite, Washington, rowing its victory freshmen of 1934 infact as the varsity crew. California, once conquered by but ready to try again, will not be spurned as a contender. In the East, is looked upon with favor, while Cornell remains the perennial dark Tradition decrees that Columbia will be there, but the loser, in a close finish, the worm turns, for in four close finishes, the Morningside Heights boat has second best four times. Navy, under young Buck Walsh, may triumph, since a crew is always considered dangerous in rough water. Can Callow do for Pennsylvania what he used to do at Washington and what the Ouskers have done--turn in a victory?

The answers are a mystery, but tradition will be enriched on the afternoon June 18. It always is at Poughkeepsie, no matter whether the race is as slow as of 1929 or as close as the eyelash Syracuse-Cornell finish of 1908 and Washington Navy of 1926.

* * *

* * *

* * *

* * *