LAMPY PADLOCKS WERE ORDERED BY TRUSTEE SCAIFE

Harvard President Has Not Yet Read Banned Lampoon Parody Number of Esquire

From the tangled web of conflicting stories which surround the closing of the Lampoon Building Monday, there emerged yesterday a fairly clear and logical sequence of accurate facts.

The three chief developments were:

1. The decision that the Trustees should take action was reached at a meeting Thursday afternoon between Roger L. Scaife '97, trustee, President Conant, Dean Hanford, and Matthew Luce '91, Regent of the University.

2. It was determined at this meeting that some action was necessary, but the actual proposals were Mr. Scaife's.

3. Mr. Scaife was the only Lampoon representative with whom College officials had dealings.

The meeting, which took place in University Hall, was called after Mr. Hanford and Mr. Luce had received complaints from the police. Everybody, according to those present, felt some action was necessary. If the College were to take steps, they alone had authority to take disciplinary action. Thus Mr. Scaife evolved his proposals.

If the trustees of the Lampoon had decided to do nothing, the problem would have been handed back to University Hall, which would probably have taken measures within its jurisdiction.

The theory that Mr. Conant himself pressed urgently for stringent action was discarded in reliable quarters on two counts: (1) He has not yet read the parody issue of Esquire, and (2) To pass the proposals by the Lampoon editors, the threat of drastic official action was evidently exaggerated.