ROBERT LUCE ASSAILS ROOSEVELT NEW DEAL

Former Congressman Charges Head of Administration With Usurpation of States' Rights

Flaying the New Deal's high-handed interference in matters which belong primarily to the states, ex-Congressman Robert Luce '82, last night warned the newly formed Harvard Chapter of the American Liberty League that the practical results of the Roosevelt administration not only are detrimental to the business operators but prove a menace to the workers as well.

Concerning the Administration's "social security" program, the former Lieutenant-Governor of Massachusetts, declared that President Roosevelt had entered a field which was reserved to the States. "Old Age pensions, and unemployment insurance is the business of the several states, and it is not the concern of the Federal Government," stated Luce.

"Once, when I was going to Amherst to make a talk, I was consoling a fellow State Representative who felt bad because he had not pushed his workman's compensation law through the Legislature. I said: 'Never mind, Calvin, that will all come in good time.' It was evident that our Thirtieth President favored such legislation, but he knew it should be handled by the individual States."

Mr. Luce served 16 years in the national House of Representatives, and is the author of four standard works on legislative principles and practices, and the first of the prominent speakers which the new chapter hopes to bring to Harvard.