"NOT TO EAT..."

Clear thinking deserts nine people out of ten when they are confronted with a situation involving their health. Instead of determining and removing the cause, they first of all decide who is to blame. That the blame for the present food epidemic in Kirkland and Winthrop Houses should wait until the investigation has been completed is not only important but the logical manner in which to meet the situation.

There is one way in which students can cooperate in determining the cause of the epidemic. If they report immediately to the Hygiene Building or the Infirmary when the first signs of the poisoning are apparent, they will supply the authorities with patients who still have the offending cause inside them.

The State Department of Health, the Medical School, and College officials will then possess the data which they need for their work. Without this basis, they may never be able to determine the cause and all the fun of selecting a goat will be denied everyone.

The College is taking the necessary steps to meet this serious situation. Since food is the most probable source, it cannot be amiss to stress the importance of inspecting every item of food which appears on the menu during the next few days.

The epidemic is still at the emergency stage. Any measure which officials consider necessary to stop it are justifiable and must be taken. Not until the event has become a part of history should the second and equally important factor be considered, that of allocating the blame and taking adequate steps to prevent its recurrence in the future.