DUDLEY HALL OPENS AS NEW COMMUTER CENTER

OPERATED UNDER MANAGEMENT OF PEREGRINE WHITE 2L

We are reprinting this article for the benefit of those men who did not see yesterday's issue.

As a result of the satisfactory solution last March of the University's age-old problems of providing commuting students with a suitable lunch room and an adequate center for social activities, the first floor of Dudley Hall, at 16 Dunster Street, remodeled during the summer at an expense of $40,000 to the University will be opened on Monday, September 23, for the benefit of 600 upperclassmen of greater Boston who plan to commute to their classes during this year.

Operated under the general management of Peregrine White 2L, of Beverly who was last year appointed secretary of the commuter organization the new non-resident social center will provide day students with lunch room capable of seating over 100 students at a time and a large common room furnished as a lounge for recreation and study, in addition to locker and wash rooms. The dining room, on the east side of the building, is a large room with cream-colored walls, white woodwork and two fireplaces. The new center will be open only to upperclassmen, Freshmen being permitted to use the dining and library facilities of the Harvard Union.1

During the first two weeks of the college year, use of Dudley Hall will be free to all commuting upperclassmen. After October 7, however, use of the building will be granted only to those students who are willing to pay a fee of $10 for the maintenance of the quarters. The latter fee is payable in two install- ments, the first due on October 7 and the second at the commencement of the second half of the academic year.

Luncheon will be served to the commuters at Dudley Hall from 12 to 1.30 o'clock on week days. A group of six tutors from the Faculty will be appointed regular members of the non-resident center and will eat luncheon in the building. Service will be conducted in cafeteria style, the dishes being priced at not more than five or ten costs an item and including sandwiches, fruit, dessert, and one hot plate.

The common, locker, and wash rooms of Dudley Hall will be open from Monday through Friday during the college terms from 8.30 to 6.30 o'clock. On Saturday the building will be open from 8.30 to 2 o'clock.

Following the procedure used in the Houses, commuters using the new social center will be grouped together for social activities and will form their own athletic teams. An undergraduate committee to manage the social and athletic activities of the commuters will be appointed shortly after the opening of the college year.

The University's decision to undergo the expense of establishing suitable quarters for the commuters on condition that the latter would finance the