DEAN POUND

Next June will round out Dean Pound's second decade as Dean of the Harvard Law School. With that he retires from the faculty to which he brought so much distinction.

Twenty years have been devoted to the teaching of law, the evolution and the improvement of that teaching. Mr. Pound leaves the law School as constructive and vigorous as when he entered.

In his report to the President in 1916 Dean Pound, recognizing the danger of constriction that ever overhangs the legal profession said "we must consider how to preserve the old professional training and yet meet the new demands for the training of lawyers who shall be useful to society...It (the need for an organic foundation) calls for abstract courses...detached from application in the everyday work of tribunals".

Last February again facing the need, he advised a four year law course based on a three year college course, the extra year to be devoted to broadening the fundamentals of juristic study.

Thus he ended his regime on the same note on which he began it. He has striven to give law the philosophic base that will raise it from the mere contention to which it so often descends. In this, his final contribution to the Law School curricula lies the solution. It has reason and logic on its side, but as well, the fullness of twenty years experience as the leader of the legal profession.