Large Freshman Squad of 130 Has Staff Busy as Cut Nears

Many Backs, Ends, Much Even Material Marks Early Sessions

The intense interest that has clung to Dick Harlow's opening weeks with the Crimson gridders has prevented much notice being taken of that other part of Harvard's football New Deal, the Freshman squad, which, after four days of practice has now begun to take definite shape.

The Freshman field is now covered with a hundred and thirty-odd candidates, but the smoke is beginning to clear, and sooner rather than later will come the cut to a practical size. However, amid the mass of aspirants a few prospects of outstanding calibro may already be distinguished.

The crop of ends is unusually large this year, and among them is the only Conant Prize Scholar of the squad, Ralph Murphy, who hails from New Albany, Indiana. Other outstanding men are Winthrop Jameson, who prop- ped at Exeter, and Tony Staruski, a former star at Hyde Park High.

Dick Walker, former Middlesex player, who stands 6 feet, 2 inches and weighs 188 may hold down one of the regular tackle berths. Likely guesses also include Charley Houghton, up from Morristown, and Whitney Wright from Nobles.

The guards are an even lot with as yet no outstanding men, but Dave Scull, Robert Sears, and Howie Johnson will bear watching. Jim Fearon, one-time St. Mark's center, ranks among the best of the pivot men, but is pressed by Danny Cheever, former ball-snapper for Milton Academy and Dave Cogswell from Beverly High.

The profusion of backs is filling Coach Stahley's hair, but one of the best is Freddie deRham, for years the mainstay of St. Mark's eleven. Bob Gannett of Milton is a cagey signal-caller and a fine punter. Clarence Boston of Moses Brown is a strong prospect, and Johnny Carchia of Cambridge Latin, though small, is, they say, something of a ball of fire.

Clearing the Air

Until Stahley makes his cut, which will probably come this week, the outlook is still confused, but reduction in numbers will clear the air, and allow a clearer view of this year's Freshman prospects