Soccer Roster Nears Completion as Carr Points Toward Opening Game of Season Against Tufts Here October 9

Returning Halfbacks Provide Bright Spot as Campaign Gets Under Way

With the return to harness of Robert C. Holcombe '37 and Leon H. Manheimer '36, two of the lettermen on whom he is counting for the 1935 campaign, Coach Jack Carr faced an almost complete squad of soccer players yesterday afternoon.

Only Theodore Roosevelt, III '36 and Charles F. Rickard '37 are missing from the 1934 roster.

Scheduled to open his season against Tufts on Wednesday, October 9, Carr must in that time rebuild his forward and fullback lines shot by graduations and find a capable replacement in goal for the All-American Jonathan S. England '35.

For all positions Carr has adequate material on paper. Nucleus for the inside forward berths should be the lettermen.

Charles S. Kelley, III '36 and Edward Motley, Jr. '36 who were kept out of the lineup last year by the ability of the '35 trio, former Captain George F. Stork, Delavan E. Clos, and Melvin G. Grover.

There is also a strong possibility that Carr will convert several of his halfbacks, including Daniel E. Burbank, Jr. '37 and Theodore P. Robie, leader of the 1938 Freshmen, to attacking roles.

Outside forward positions depend on the capability of the Yale game starters, Manheimer, James A. E. Wood '37, and the veteran Philo F. Willetts '36.

Finding men to play halfback must be the least of the coach's worries. His '35 line of Captain Dorman, Roosevelt, and Frank W. Vincent, Jr. '36 returns intact, while other replacements are to be found in Rickard and Bruce K. Fuller '36, former Junior Varsity players, and the Sophomore booters, Robert E. White, Carl Shirley, and J. Henry Alexandre, III.

The fight for the spare fullback berth may center around Fitzwilliam Sargent and Richard Powell '38. Holcombe should hold down the other position.

Finally, in goal Thomas Perry, Jr. '36, Craig Wallace '36, Robert M. Briggs '37, and the Sophomore Lorimer Robey will battle to fill England's shoes.

The Varsity team this fall will play nine games, three of which are away, at West Point, Princeton, and Amherst. The Junior Varsity will play its regular informal schedule concluding with a game against Yale.

1939

The Freshmen, many of whom have yet to report after the formalities of Hygiene lectures and physical examinations, are pointing for their first game with Tabor Academy on Saturday, October 5. At that time they start their class on its athletic career.