HARVARD ACCEPTS BID TO STUDENT CONTROL MEETING

Academic Freedom, Voting Systems, And Athletics, Intercollegiate and Intra-Mural Will Be Discussed

Discussion of the problems of student government at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Dartmouth, Pennsylvania, and Columbia will take place at Columbia in a conference scheduled for February 25 and 27, it was learned yesterday.

The student Board of Columbia college proposed the idea of the conference, to include discussion of such topics as Academic Freedom; Voting Systems; Systems of Representation; Athletics-intercollegiate and intramural; Commuters; Student Finance and Scholarships; Loans and Subsidies; Employment offices and Vocational Guidance; Curriculum; Religion; Physical plant; and, Fraternities and Social Life.

Council Favors Plan

Members of the Harvard Student Council expressed complete accord with the idea and they have agreed to send a representative to the conference. However, John B. Bowditch '37, President of the Council, has written asking to have the date of the meeting changed if possible as it conflicts directly with the scheduleed Harvard-Yale Princeton, Conference on Public Affairs to be held in Cambridge on those dates.

Common Problems

In proposing the meeting, the Columbia Board of Student Representatives declared that "it has occured to the members of our board that many of these problems (of student government) are common to our sister institutions," and that a Conference with the discussions of these problems in mind and the resultant exchange of ideas would be of mutual benefit."

Ivy League

The agenda for the Conference did not contain a discussion of the proposed Ivy League which includes the seven colleges invited to attend the meeting, as the plan for the football league was released after preliminary plans had been drawn for the meeting. However, the subject will be taken up if the representatives of the seven colleges vote to discuss it.

No word has been received as yet from Columbia as to whether the change in date would be acceptable, but it is felt likely that in any event Harvard will send delegates to the meeting. These representatives will be selected at th next meeting of the Council.